Can you work as part of a highly skilled, multi-disciplinary team applying a range of quantitative analytical methods? Are you passionate in using your skills to assist the UK MOD in defining the future composition of the British Armed Forces?
We are looking for an analyst with strong numerate experience, whose principal focus will be looking to provide guidance on delivering an affordable Defence programme, using a variety of techniques including balance of investment, strategic costs / finance analysis and force structure analysis.
You will have strong problem solving skills and be self motivated, willing to use innovative techniques to answer complex questions. You’ll also have a keen interest in the UK Armed Forces and be willing to further develop this knowledge. The advice you provide in this role will support decision makers at the highest levels in the Ministry of Defence, helping MOD to deliver an affordable defence programme and optimising capability within budgetary constraints.
You will work in a dynamic environment working within a high performing team and providing technical leadership, to deliver analysis directly to the customers, while building enduring relationships to ensure our advice delivers high impact. You may also have the opportunity to travel to additional sites, and visits to external partners, and we'll support you with a Team Leader who'll guide you in your career development within Dstl.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female and ethnic minority applicants and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
In this role you will;
- provide analytical advice to customers and stakeholders within Government.
- liaise with customers and stakeholders to understand, shape and develop their requirements for support.
- design, develop, deliver and exploit a cost-effective analytical approach to meet their needs.
- keep customers and stakeholders informed of progress throughout the project and the production and delivery of presentations and reports summarising the work.
- work alongside a Project Manager, who will be responsible for the overall delivery of the work, however you will be expected to provide technical leadership and ensure a high standard of quality.
You will not have any line management responsibility, but you will be expected to develop members of staff working with you on your projects.
We are looking for someone who has:
- A degree with a strong focus on quantitative skills or equivalent experience in use of quantitative analysis techniques
- Sound problem solving skills
- Good data analysis skills with either Excel, Python, SQL, R or willingness to learn
- Strong communication skills in all areas
- The desire to work collaboratively within the team, with our customer and across government
Essential Qualifications - Either an honours degree or equivalent vocational experience in operational research, mathematics or another numerical discipline (e.g. science or economics).
- Demonstrable knowledge and/or experience of quantitative analysis techniques, and their use in solving problems.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Excel or a data analysis focused programming language (preferably R and/or Python).
- An ability to convey complex issues in a clear and concise way, including relevant caveats, both verbally and in written form.
- An interest in Strategic Defence Policy and the UK Force Structure.
- Effective application of quantitative analysis techniques.
- Leadership of a project or small team. Proven communication skills across all areas.
- ability to plan workload and time, and that of others.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be UK Nationals who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to undertake the projects we are involved in to protect us from security threats. For this reason, only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Developing Self and Others
- Making Effective Decisions
Dstl’s full range of great benefits can be found in the information pack which includes:
- Financial: An excellent pension scheme starting from 26% employer contribution (find out more here). In Year Rewarding Achievement bonuses and thank you vouchers. Rental deposit scheme and cycle to work scheme.
- Flexible working: Options include alternative working patterns such as; compressed hours (e.g. working a 4 day week/ 9 day fortnight), job shares and annualised hours (agreed number of hours per annum paid monthly i.e. working term-time only).
- Working hours: Flexibility around your working day (e.g. start time, finish time). Ability to bank hours in a 12 month reference period including the ability to accrue and use 3 days per calendar month.
- Where you work: Depending on your role, blended working may be available including remote working to suit you and your team. This can be discussed at interview.
- Annual leave: 25 days pro rata (rising to 30 after 5 years) plus 8 public holidays with the ability to buy/sell 5 additional days per annum.
- Family: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks with full pay, an additional 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
- Learning and Development: Dstl encourages and supports charterships, accreditations and provides employees access to fully funded apprenticeships up to level 7 (Masters Degree). Dstl will pay for 2 memberships with relevant bodies/institutions. Employees also have access to Civil Service Learning.
- Facilities: Onsite parking, EV Charging points, restaurants, cafés and gyms.
We are proud supporters of Women in Data®. Connect, engage and belong to the largest free female data community in the UK – visit: www.womenindata.co.uk to join our community.