Senior Data Engineer
Senior Data Engineer
Division: Business Services
Department: Data Office
Job Summary: Responsible for building Knight Frank’s data platform capabilities
Reporting to: Head of BI
Knight Frank is the leading independent property consultancy in the UK offering agency and professional advice across Commercial, Residential and Rural sectors. Established in 1897, Knight Frank now comprises a global network of over 400 offices.
Due to the rapid growth of data and analytics capabilities within the organisation, an exciting new role has opened up for a Data Engineer to strengthen and advance the consolidation and automation of our multiple company data sets.
Supported by the wider Data and Digital teams you will carry out and bring together multiple data sets into a single data platform. You will streamline and consolidate data sets as well as advice on best practice.
The role will require someone who has strong SQL Server and Azure data integration background as well as API experience to access multiple data sets from multiple sources. You will have the tenacity to see through complex problems and automating laborious tasks, as well as the vision and spontaneity to contribute new ideas that gain traction within the team. Coming up with new ideas is actively encouraged.
- To work with the multiple teams to extend the team’s data integration, modelling and reporting capabilities
- You will be responsible for defining and delivering high quality data platform solutions
- Provide solution and integration development requirements, functional specs, design, custom development, integration, testing, and deployment
- Integration of data across disparate systems by transforming and loading data into the Azure data platform
- Product ownership - taking responsibility for the data solutions right through the lifecycle, from design and development through to service transition and support
- To actively build thorough understanding of the customer, customer journey and the market to ensure that the correct data is captured
- To be able to work with a degree of independence on projects
- To ensure the wider Data team have easy access to the data
- To work with multiple stakeholders and Knight Frank teams on wider projects
- To be able to analyse complex datasets and cleanse data
- To be able to advise other parties on best practice regarding data integration and modelling
- Demonstrated 4+ years of strong experience using T-SQL.
- More than 4+ years of working experience in developing Data warehouses.
- More than 4 years of experience in building ETL/ELT pipelines, serving both on-prem and cloud-based data warehouses.
- Working as a data engineer in Azure based projects for not less than 3 years, having an in-depth understanding of the following:
- ETL Pipelines developed with Azure Data Factory or Azure Synapse pipelines
- PySpark/Python for performing data transformations
- Azure Storage accounts.
- 2+ years of experience building solutions using Delta tables
- Demonstrated working experience that requires understanding of underlying data structures and different integration methods and uses them to develop quality solutions within agreed timelines.
- Good understanding of Azure Synapse Analytics concepts, with minimum 2+ years of experience working with services like Lake databases, Azure storage accounts, SQL serverless pool.
- Demonstrated working with multiple stakeholders across multiple disciplines to understand their data requirements and enhancing their current architecture.
- In past 2+ years, demonstrated having strong troubleshooting and error-handling skillset, along with a keen inclination towards process automation.
- Proactive to remain up to date with latest technologies and techniques.
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively as part of a team, managing/mentoring individuals – all along showing a strong collaborative mindset and resourcefulness.
- Experienced in developing and managing new & existing partnerships with both internal and external customers.
Strong experience with the following
- T-SQL programming
- Azure Data Factory
- Python/PySpark language
- SQL Server (2017)
- Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2
Experience of the following desirable but not essential
- Power BI
- Azure Synapse Analytics
- GA 360
- Microsoft Fabric & Co-pilot
Particular Aptitudes/Skills Required
- Highly organised, systematic and adaptable with an excellent attention to detail, with the ability to recognise the relative importance of software issues and to prioritise work effectively
- Ability to communicate clearly and deal with others at all levels in a polite, professional, friendly and helpful manner, both face to face, by email and on the telephone and maintain a good working relationships at all times
- Demonstrated an ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work with all members of the team, in a professional and yet dynamic and creative environment, fostering an open, friendly and constructive working relationship with all members of the Knight Frank team
- Ability to work within a high pressure environment, balance priorities and remain calm under pressure
- The successful candidate will be flexible, self-motivated, organised and pro-active with excellent computing and administration skills and the ability to adapt to a wide range of tasks. They will also have a “hands on” attitude and possess the necessary skills, manner and experience to provide an effective support service to the department/office
- Desire to learn new technologies and continuously develop new skills and expertise
- Ability to work out of hours to deliver application upgrades in agreed maintenance windows.
We are proud supporters of Women in Data®. Connect, engage and belong to the largest free female data community in the UK – visit: www.womenindata.co.uk to join our community.
Send CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org