Syndicate Financial Controller
We are seeking an experienced Financial Controller to manage all financial reporting and regulatory compliance across our 2 Lloyd’s Syndicates. You will lead a small team of Syndicate accountants, taking accountability for all Lloyds reporting including: QMA and QMB. As a Financial Controller you will play a key role maintaining the integrity of the financial results for our Syndicates.
Your New Role
- Overall responsibility to ensure that Syndicate reporting is completed accurately and to meet regulatory deadlines both to Group and Lloyd's
- Other areas of review will include Solvency II returns including QSR, ASR, TPD and GQD, technical premiums, inwards and outwards RI premiums
- Manage the preparation of the annual statutory returns.
- Manage the production of all Lloyd's finance regulatory returns ensuring strong governance over the processes and adherence to Lloyd's minimum standards.
- Ensure reporting standards are met for the Company’s Syndicate.
- Ensuring effective controls are in place and being reviewed.
- To manage financial planning and control and statutory reporting process to maintain the integrity of the financial results and support continual profitable growth in line with the business plans for the Syndicates.
- Support the external and internal audit process ensuring that all information is compiled and available for the audit process
- Manage and develop financial systems and procedures to meet current and anticipated future financial accounting and reporting in line with corporate and regulatory requirements.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders including the Actuaries, Operations and Front Office teams, together with banking and financial institutions, rating agencies, auditors and regulatory bodies
- Provide regular and ad hoc management information to support and inform decision making
- Continue to seek out improvements in system reporting and interpretation of results to enhance understanding of the financial results
- Manage and lead a team to ensure the overall output and quality of the service provided by the team meets customer expectations
- CIMA/ACCA/ACA qualified
- Strong Lloyd’s market experience
- Proven experience of contributing to the management of a complex financial services business at executive level
- Significant experience in accounting at a senior level
- Experience leading a team and providing operational direction
- Thorough knowledge of the current statutory, legal, regulatory requirements applying to Lloyd’s syndicates
- Thorough technical knowledge of all primary financial statement reporting
- Knowledge of industry best practice in finance and accounting, internal controls and procedures
- Knowledge of appropriate regulatory/statutory frameworks and how they impact on the insurance sectors
- Excellent knowledge of relevant accounting software and tools
Why QBE? At My Best
At QBE, we want our people to feel rewarded and inspired to perform at their best, that’s why we have created “At My Best”. It’s our connection, our way of showing we have your back. We understand that one size doesn’t fit all and that priorities can change depending on your life stage. That is why our blend of wellbeing initiatives and benefits offer flexibility to suit what matters most to you. It’s in the culture of our business, our QBE DNA, to support our people. Everything we do is underpinned by our QBE DNA - because we know it’s not just what we do that matters, it’s how we do it that makes the difference. In addition to this, we also offer flexible parental leave for both parents and have several employee network groups that support and empower our diverse workforce.
At QBE, we view our people as our most precious asset. We understand the importance of fostering a work environment that is responsive to the changing needs of today's workforce. QBE aims to build a workplace that is fair and inclusive because we want to attract and retain the best people to do the job, we have adopted flexible working across the company and welcome this conversation (https://qbeeurope.com/careers/flex-qbe/).
Some of the award’s QBE are proud to have won, been a finalist for, and shortlisted for include;
5-star Diversity, Equity and inclusion (DEI) awards, 2023 Winner - Insurance Business Canada
Employer of the Year 2022 Winner – Insurance Insider
British Claims Awards 2022 Winner - InsurTech Award
Insurance Times Claims Excellence Awards 2022 Winner - Claims Product Solution of the Year
Working Families Best Practice Awards 2021 Finalist for: Best COVID-19 Response
Insurance Post British Insurance Awards 2022 Shortlisted for: Best Customer Care, Diversity & Inclusion Initiative of the Year 2022, Specialist Insurer of the Year (for Construction), General Insurer of the Year
We are proud to have partnerships with organisations such as Stonewall and Working Families, and our commitment to the Women in Finance Charter, the UN Women’s Empowerment Principles and Race at Work charter helps keep us accountable and transparent
Inclusion of Diversity
We are striving to create a workplace culture where all our people feel included, and we are committed to building a diverse workforce that is reflective of the communities we operate in.
We know that diversity of thought, background and experience enables better decision making, improves the quality of our delivery and helps us to meet the needs of our customers.
ESG & Sustainability
At QBE, we believe that integrating sustainability into our business helps us deliver on our purpose of enabling a more resilient future. Our three key focus areas include fostering an orderly and inclusive transition to a net-zero economy, enabling a sustainable and resilient workforce and partnering for growth through innovative, sustainable and impactful solutions. For further information regarding QBE’s sustainability targets, including our net-zero pledges and inclusion of diversity targets, and our award-winning impact investment initiative ‘Premiums4Good’, please visit our Sustainability homepage and read our latest Sustainability Report (Link).
We can never really predict what’s around the corner, but at QBE we’re asking the right questions to enable a more resilient future – helping those around us build strength and embrace change to their advantage.
We’re an international insurer that’s building momentum towards realising our vision of becoming the most consistent and innovative risk partner.
And our people will be at the centre of our success. We’re proud to work together, and encourage each other enable resilience for our customers, our environment, our economies and our communities.
With more than more than 11,000 people working across 27 countries, we’re big enough to make a real impact, but small enough to provide a friendly workplace, where people are down-to-earth, passionate and kind.
We believe this is our moment – what if it was yours too?
Your career at QBE — let’s make it happen!
To find out more about why you should work for QBE, visit our careers website.
If you have a passion to contribute to QBE’s vision of enabling a more resilient future for our customers and the community, we encourage you to apply! Simply click the “apply” button to submit your CV and other relevant documents, and a member of our friendly Talent Acquisition team will be in contact to discuss your interest further if you meet the requirements of the role.
Please make the Talent Acquisition aware should there be any reasonable adjustments that may need to be made for the interview and the remainder of the recruitment process.
We are proud supporters of Women in Data®. Connect, engage and belong to the largest free female data community in the UK – visit: www.womenindata.co.uk to join our community.