Senior Actuarial Analyst
QBE Europe is looking to recruit a Senior Actuarial Analyst to join the UK & Europe reserving team. This role will be to provide actuarial advice to the relevant business units and be the point of contact across various lines of commercial insurance, including Commercial Motor, Property, Liability and Specialty Lines. You will be required to deliver quarterly reserving advice, monthly actual versus expected monitoring, input into business planning, reserve variability and business partnering to undertake deep dives into relevant segments of the portfolio, supporting Lead Actuaries and Reserving Managers as required.
Your New Role
- Using appropriate systems and procedures to ensure accurate data is used and subsequently appropriate analyses produced. This is to include adopting efficient and consistent actuarial models and processed and/or technologies where appropriate.
- Ensure appropriate checks are performed within processes to minimize inaccuracies.
- Comply with documentation of key processes and policies to ensure QBE Europe and its divisions.
- Comply with all material legal and regulatory requirements, Adhere to relevant actuarial standards and good practice.
- Meet all internal European and/or global internal reporting requirements & support with minimizing the risk of business discontinuity.
- Assist the Lead Actuaries to ensure that processes are aligned to business needs and fit for purpose.
- Awareness and understanding of the business drivers for the function that they are supporting.
- Awareness and understanding of the business drivers for the function that they are supporting. Have awareness of the plan and its context to be able to deliver appropriate support.
- Contribute to business meetings as required to understand and support business requirements.
- Use and assist with the development of appropriate systems and procedures to ensure accurate data is used and subsequently appropriate analyses produced. This is to include adopting efficient and consistent actuarial models and process and / or technologies where appropriate.
- Maintain and comply with documentation of key processes and policies to ensure QBE Europe and its Divisions:
- Comply with all material legal and regulatory requirements.
- Adhere to relevant actuarial standards and good practice.
- Meet all internal European and / or global internal reporting requirements.
- Minimise the risk of business discontinuity.
- Manage and monitor Actuarial process, where applicable, to ensure their continued delivery and improvement to meet.
- Identify areas for continuous improvement, drives toward efficiencies in process, challenges the status quo.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders to improve customer focus.
- Understand developments in wider Actuarial community to stay abreast of current development.
- Takes personal responsibility for own areas of delivery.
- Ensure that results are delivered to team timelines.
- Perform the forecasting of technical provisions, reserve margins and reserve uncertainties to support business analysis/MI for reports and accounts, business planning, profitability studies and commutations.
- Ensures technical quality of work. Can understand drivers of materiality.
- Able to work way through complexity and explain to stakeholders’ key assumptions.
- Understands impact of regulatory environment on technical work
- Ensures that work is appropriately reviewed and undertakes appropriate review.
- Look to give a broader view of career development to junior staff.
- Is recognised as a role model for junior team members.
To thrive in the role of a Senior Actuarial Analyst here at QBE, we would expect you to have working experience in most of the following areas:
- Experience working with actuarial reserving or pricing within the London market.
- Fully or nearly qualified Institute as faculty of Actuaries or equivalent body.
- Effective communication and participate in discussions with wider business.
- Ability to persuade and influence both directly and indirectly.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong skills in Excel and other analytical tools. Ability to develop sophisticated models to address business needs.
- Strong abilities in the use and interpretation of numerical data
- Ability to work within defined procedures.
- Able to collaborate across the actuarial teams.
- Ability to question established processes and suggest improvements.
- Able to work in an agile manner, responsive to stakeholder requirements.
Why QBE? At My Best
At QBE, we want our people to feel rewarded and inspired to perform at their best, that’s why we have created “At My Best”. It’s our connection, our way of showing we have your back. We understand that one size doesn’t fit all and that priorities can change depending on your life stage.
That is why our blend of wellbeing initiatives and benefits offer flexibility to suit what matters most to you. It’s in the culture of our business, our QBE DNA, to support our people. Everything we do is underpinned by our QBE DNA - because we know it’s not just what we do that matters, it’s how we do it that makes the difference. In addition to this, we also offer flexible parental leave for both parents and have several employee network groups that support and empower our diverse workforce.
At QBE, we view our people as our most precious asset. We understand the importance of fostering a work environment that is responsive to the changing needs of today's workforce. QBE aims to build a workplace that is fair and inclusive because we want to attract and retain the best people to do the job, we have adopted flexible working across the company and welcome this conversation. #LI-Hybrid
Some of the award’s QBE are proud to have won, been a finalist for, and shortlisted for include.
Employer of the Year 2022 Winner – Insurance Insider
British Claims Awards 2022 Winner - InsurTech Award
Insurance Times Claims Excellence Awards 2022 Winner - Claims Product Solution of the Year
Working Families Best Practice Awards 2021 Finalist for: Best COVID-19 Response
Insurance Post British Insurance Awards 2022 Shortlisted for: Best Customer Care, Diversity & Inclusion Initiative of the Year 2022, Specialist Insurer of the Year (for Construction), General Insurer of the Year
We are proud to have partnerships with organisations such as Stonewall and Working Families, and our commitment to the Women in Finance Charter, the UN Women’s Empowerment Principles and Race at Work charter helps keep us accountable and transparent.
Inclusion of Diversity
We are striving to create a workplace culture where all our people feel included, and we are committed to building a diverse workforce that is reflective of the communities we operate in.
We know that diversity of thought, background and experience enables better decision making, improves the quality of our delivery and helps us to meet the needs of our customers.
QBE helps businesses build resilience through risk management and insurance.
QBE European Operations is part of QBE Insurance Group, one of the world’s leading international insurers and reinsurers and Standard & Poor’s A+ rated. Listed on the Australian Securities Exchange, QBE’s gross written premium for the year ended 31 December 2021 was US$18.5 billion.
As a business insurance specialist, QBE European Operations offers a range of insurance products from the standard suite of property, casualty, and motor to the specialist financial lines, marine and energy. All are tailored to the individual needs of our small, medium, and large customer base.
To find out more about why you should work for QBE, visit our careers website.
If you have a passion to contribute to QBE’s vision of enabling a more resilient future for our customers and the community, we encourage you to APPLY NOW! Simply click the “apply” button to submit your CV and other relevant documents, and a member of our friendly Talent Acquisition team will be in contact to discuss your interest further if you meet the requirements of the role.
Please make the Talent Acquisition aware should there be any reasonable adjustments that may need to be made for the interview and the remainder of the recruitment process.
We are proud supporters of Women in Data®. Connect, engage and belong to the largest free female data community in the UK – visit: www.womenindata.co.uk to join our community.
APPLY HERE: Senior Actuarial Analyst