Senior Consultant, Markets Monitoring and Surveillance
Senior Consultant/Manager, Markets Monitoring and Surveillance, Risk Advisory
Financial services institutions have been fined over £300billion since the financial crisis, with a significant portion of this due to their failure to have adequate controls around the identification of misconduct or market abuse by their traders. With additional risks of trading losses and reputational damage, markets surveillance had become a key focus area for banks to address, with major institutions now spending towards £1billion a year on compliance costs.
Deloitte’s Monitoring and Surveillance Risk Analytics team focuses on supporting financial services clients to solve the challenge of effectively monitoring for misconduct and market abuse across their firm, helping them to guard against trading losses, reputational damage and fines. The challenge is complex, and requires new ways of thinking about and combining data, technology and operations.
As a Manager, you will be expected to lead client engagements, as well as being involved in business development and sales opportunities and developing the junior team as someone with a strong understanding of monitoring and surveillance practices, challenges and emerging trends.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
As a member of our surveillance-focused analytics team, you will work with our largest banking clients to help them assess and enhance their supervision and surveillance functions from regulatory, data, technology and operational perspectives.
The role will involve, tasks such as:
- Working with teams of Deloitte and client personnel to complete projects, such as:
- Designing and embedding new operating models for improved surveillance in our clients’ organisations
- Designing new and innovative methods to enhance firm’s abilities to monitoring for misconduct and market abuse, and working with our data science and technology teams to bring these to life
- Supporting vendor selection and implementation of either Deloitte’s or third party technologies for our clients
- Risk and coverage assessments of supervision and surveillance functions
- Effectiveness reviews and benchmarking of supervision and surveillance functions
- Reviewing effectiveness of automated surveillance technology
- Contributing to thought leadership on the design and development of new surveillance technology solutions and methodologies
- Developing and sustaining new client relationships
- Managing the planning and staffing projects for clients based on complex deliverables and programmes of work
- Supporting the development of client bids and presentations of proposals.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: London with potential for occasional domestic and international travel
Work pattern: This is a permanent contract opportunity.
Your professional experience
- Strong sector-specific knowledge and business understanding gained in banking or capital markets
- Excellent understanding around the themes of misconduct and market abuse, and insight into how these are monitored for, and the challenges of doing so
- Understanding of relevant regulation and the associated surveillance impacts
- The ability to work in many different and challenging environments
- Continual drive to proactively learn, innovate and improve
- Strong planning, organisation and time management skills
- Strong communication, presentation, business writing and professional skills, including being able to liaise with both technical and business contacts at our clients
Additional desirable experience includes:
- Experience working in front office supervision or surveillance functions at large financial services firms
- Experience working in trading environments at large financial services firms
- Project management experience or qualifications (e.g. PRINCE2)
- Experience or knowledge of monitoring technology solutions
- Professional services experience
Your service line: Risk Advisory
In Risk Advisory, our thinking and actions give clients, our people and society the confidence to grow responsibly in a rapidly changing world. We don’t just work with our clients to manage risk, we help them understand and grab the opportunities it presents too, helping them gain a competitive advantage. Our expertise and industry knowledge run deep here. At Deloitte, you’ll find yourself working with some of the most inspiring and experienced colleagues and with clients who trust you to lead the way to smart choices, better control frameworks, and new systems, including bespoke solutions that have a direct impact on their bottom line.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.